(urth) George R. R. Martin on Gene Wolfe

Charles Gillingham charlesgillingham at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:37:42 PDT 2015

I've never read any of the Harry Potter, so I shouldn't have commented on
that. (I have watched all the movies (in a single day!) and really disliked
them all individually and overall) But I have read Storm of Swords and
American Gods. That there are so many Harry Potter books they should have
waited a year to beat out American Gods instead. But again, its just a
popularity context.

I was just looking at Best Novel. Vinge deserves every award he gets. He's
not of the same writing caliber as Wolfe, but any fan of Wolfe is a fan of
intelligent sci fi. Vinge is probably the most right wing of anyone that's
won a Hugo. With the number that he's won so relatively recently, I think
that shatters the Puppies theory.