(urth) Wolfe vs Trollope

Andrew Bollen jurisper at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:28:47 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, he named Eleanor Bold from the Barchester books, no?

Doh!

Now I'm going to spend far too much time wondering if there are any other
Trollope references in PEACE that I've missed.

> I think some of Wolfe's shorts are very much low mimesis near future SF
> and character driven in the basic manner of Trollope with extra
> eccentricity and more prostitution ... but these are his least memorable in
> terms of anything actually happening (Going to the Beach, It's Very Clean,
> Sweet Forest Maid, Beautyland, or Sonya, Crane Wessleman, and Kitty kind of
> spring to mind)

I've never really gotten into short stories, even Wolfe's - can't recall
reading any of these.

> - let's be honest, Wolfe often has more memorable high mimesis or mythic
> characters like Latro or Severian ... no one would probably say Mr. Green
> is one of his better characters. I think Wolfe needs the hint of grand,
> histrionic, or narcissistic characters to really show his best dramatic
> force. Silk would be pretty flat at times without the drama of a polar
> opposite love interest ..

I suppose that's my point, more or less.

One of my favorite Wolfe characters is Horn in OBW - before he becomes
touched by any particular specialness. I think Wolfe can do this stuff. On
the other hand, the thought of Trollope trying to do Wolfe ...