(urth) Adaptations?

aaron aaronsingleton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:26:37 PDT 2015

I certainly wouldn't wish to see any Wolfe adaptation directed by
Jodorowski. Perhaps Darren Aronofsky? Kubrick would be my first choice, but
that of course is impossible. But imagining a Wolfe movie directed by
Kubrick? Awe inspiring.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM, DAVID STOCKHOFF <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
wrote:

> Nay, the Hobbit movie was an abomination! Prepare to defend yourself, sir!
>

>   On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:12 AM, António Pedro Marques <
> entonio at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I have no idea, but I'm certainly *NOT* eager to see Wolfe transported
> into any other medium. I agree he provides much material for that, but I'd
> rather folks would get their material elsewhere or invent it themselves.
>
> If it ends up being done, then I think it would be best left to unknown
> folks rather than Moebius or Jodorowsky or whoever. For much the same
> reason I wouldn't want Sean Connery to play Gandalf. (Tolkien, for
> instance, I have no qualms about being adapted to film or even games. I
> don't like the LotR movies, but that's for other reasons, and I think The
> Hobbit was acceptable.)
>

> No dia 29/04/2015, às 13:25, Andreas Johansson <andreas.havok at gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
> Hi,
>
> First of all, a great thanks to all of you out there debating and
> analyzing the big and the small of all things Wolfean. It's severely
> enlightening, both for understanding Wolfe in many more layers, and
> literature in general. Now then, a question that arose recently as I began
> the BOTNS for I think a fourth time, while at the same time delving deep
> into Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - how wonderful wouldn't a "sand box" type of
> videogame, set in Severian's Urth? - so my question was, has there been any
> kind of adaptations of any of Gene Wolfe's works? Graphic novels, theatre
> productions, short movies, anything? Given his massive output (more than
> fifty short stories, hehe), you'd think that somewhere, someone would've
> picked up the challenge.
>
> Of course, much of what makes Wolfe special is an inherent trait of the
> medium that would be lost in a visual adaptation that loses the 1st person
> perspective... but his worlds are so bloody vivid and beautiful that they
> would be a feast for any graphic artist to dig into, even if 70% of the
> in-text layers would be lost. Imagine a Moebius-style graphic novel based
> on Urth of the New Sun... or as mentioned moving freely through a
> 3d-rendered version of Nessus or Viron.
>
> Oh by the way, which entry-point to Lafferty would you fellows suggest?
> Haven't read anything by him but thought it might be time.
>
> yrs,
> Andreas Johansson

Aaron Singleton