(urth) George R. R. Martin on Gene Wolfe

Nick Lee starwaterstrain at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:30:40 PDT 2015

To be clear, I was NOT suggesting that Puppies couldn't understand Wolfe. I
was pointing out, tongue-in-cheek, that they talk more about "fun" writers
like Butcher, who I'm actually a fan of, and that Wolfe didn't fit into
that category. He's a different kind of fun.

My intent was levity, but I guess the debate has gotten too contentious for
that. Tone and the Internet and all that. Try to lighten up, everyone. This
is a safe space for level-headed discussion.

FWIW, I do think there is a little substance to the Sad Puppy argument.
There has been a push in recent years for more diversification in genre
fiction and to award those who contribute to it. I just don't think that
constitutes a left-wing conspiracy or warrants brigading. I also think that
most people tend to vote for whatever stories they enjoy the most, for
whatever reasons, and it's the Puppies who are disrupting that.

Further insults directed at my person should be sent to me privately.