(urth) George R. R. Martin on Gene Wolfe

Nick Lee starwaterstrain at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:32:59 PDT 2015

> I saw this anti-Puppy argument previously brought up in, I think, a
> New Republic blog; they added on as another example R.A. Lafferty. It
> doesn't work because of the timing: the politicization of the Hugos
> and associated sites like Tor.com (still publishing a notorious
> cyberstalker because her politics & gender are correct, incidentally)
> only really starts hitting in force in the '90s and '00s.

Never read it (re: New Republic blog). Sriduangkaew has been called out
rather publicly, and by a woman feminist no less.

http://laurajmixon.com/2014/11/a-report-on-damage-done-by-one-individual-under-several-names/

I'm not particularly interested in her work myself, and I abhor bullies,
cyber- or otherwise, but Tor is free to publish it. As Martin explained in
a previous blog post, Tor publishes authors of a variety of ideologies.

Hence, Lafferty's and Wolfe's nominations and awards are uninformative
> since they either were in time periods where the Sad Puppies see
> minimal problems, or they are drawn from a time period where the
> relevant works did not exist / weren't clearly deserving of awards.

How far can they move those goal posts? Soldier of Sidon won a World
Fantasy Award and came in third for the Locus in 2007. Despite your
opinions on The Wizard Knight, the first volume was nominated for a nebula
in 2005. There is a Hugo for short stories too. Wolfe won a Locus for his
short "Golden City Far" in 2004. And whatever you might think of his work
in the past fifteen years, there have been plenty of Hugo nominees that
were far less deserving. I especially liked The Land Across.