(urth) Tzadkiel's form

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:58:16 PDT 2014

>Jeff Wilson:
>Remember Tzadkiel's story that the original exalted human race built his
>from animals, so an association with animals and beastmen and apes as
>the most humanlike of animals is not inappropriate for Yesodis.

Yet I think it should be remembered that one of the primates Severian

encounters (on the Ship) ends up BEING Tzadkiel.  Does this provide a link

between Inire and Tzadkiel? I think so, along with others links, such as

the type of space-time portals they both use.

Biblical angels are often described as having animal characteristics though

fallen angels or demons are even more likely to have bestial features.

On the Ship, we see Tzadkiel range in size and form from tiny tinker bell and

ball of fur to a giant winged male humanoid and even larger winged female

humanoid. I think the final stage in this progression is  seen by Severian in the

mirror book found in the Secret House. This Tzadkiel is so large Severian thinks

planet Urth would be like a dust mote caught in the wind of its wings.

I think it is clear such a being cannot be biological in the sense we understand

it. There are the problems of existing unprotected in the void which have been

discussed for Inhumi. We must wonder what it could breathe and maybe even

more fantastically, what such a being could eat. (the amusing topic of angel

poop is actually relevant also).

Given the lack of traditional biology of that version of Tzadkiel, I have recently been

considering that we see him/her in another form also. The first time Severian hears

Tzadkiel's voice it seems to emanate from everywhere in the Ship. There is the odd

ability for the Ship to adjust portions of its internal conditions to the biology of its

current resident.

I wondered what the significance of the Ship's unusual seven-sided structure might

be. Some random Googling reminded me that there are seven arch-angels, Tzadkiel

being one of them.  The Ship's multiple sails might in some way be represented in

an angel's multiple sets of wings.

I think it is possible that Wolfe meant the Ship to actually be a form of Tzadkiel. I

find support for this idea in the story of the Naviscaput, in which another very large

being is mistaken for, or actually is partially a ship.

I think something similar happens in On Blue's Waters, when Horn sees the black "pirate

ship" chasing him which later seems as though it must be the source of Seawrack. If this

"ship" were really the gigantic Mother creature in the form of a boat it would explain the

loss of Seawrack's arm and demonstrate the relationship between The Mother and Seawrack

as the budding process we see elsewhere in the Sun Series.