(urth) Tzadkiel's form

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 07:10:41 PDT 2014

> If Wolfe truly meant to distinguish Typhon from Typhoeus, why, in Long Sun,
> would he give Pas/Typhon a wife named Echidna? She is the wife of the son of
> Gaea and Tartaros, Typhoeus, not the "Typhon" identified above.

>Jeffrey Wilson: Perhaps to subtextually indicate that something is not right with the
>false divinities of the Whorl.

Urgh. I hope that isn't true. If so, it would have Wolfe predicating a really major theme

in his work on his audience knowing that he considers Typhon and Typhoeus to be different

god/monsters and ignoring that most mainstream sources consider them to be the same.

>Marc Aramini: .... In the next chapter the Autarch shows up on a giant elephantine steed and

>the footsteps make Sev think of the thing he awoke in the cave near Saltus...

In UotNS, during the end of Typhon's rule, Saltus mine is just starting to be dug. Later,

back in SotL, Typhon seems surprised and unware of the powers in the ocean so I don't

suppose he started digging Saltus mine to house protectors against giant megatherians.

You are suggesting an Autarch co-opted the mine for this purpose?

Given its placement, the opposite seems more likely to me.   The wall was built to protect

Nessus from such creatures as the gigantic presence below the Saltus cave. Of course there

are always the Ascians to consider. But if the circular wall around Nessus protects from giant

sea-beings why not also giant land beings from the other direction?

>Also, in hindsight it is pretty clear Jahi is supposed to be Juturna ... at one point in the play she

>metafictionally says something to the effect, "in real life I'm bigger than everyone!" ...So the talk

>of the demons to the autarch reveals Juturna's motivations and mission.

I think this is a reasonable assessment. Large size is a hallmark of all pagan gods/demons but Jahi

and Juturna are both of the succubus variety, being in a seductive, female form.

>And I never gave any credence to Jolenta's possibility as a sibling.  At all.

I still do. Merryn remains a candidate also but we have to wonder why she is fully grown when

Severian visits the Witches' Tower when he is a boy. Same in RttW. How can she be a twin if she

is older?

Jolenta is Severian's age.  Plus if Jolenta is a stage name it would explain why she isn't named

"Severa". There is also the incest angle. Do Severian's incestual encounters begin and end with

Dorcas? If there are others, more grist to the "Jolenta as Severa" mill.

Borski's hair color scheme for determining Severian's family by itself it pretty sketchy. But added to

other evidence, I have to give the theory a definite maybe.