(urth) Tzadkiel's form

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 06:59:31 PDT 2014

Changed my mind about the mine thing. The man apes serve the autarch and
guard his treasure there, as the pandours in the wall at the Piteous Gate
do, built as defense against the persumptious "throwing black beans in the
sea" lady from offworld, as Jonas was getting at before they were so rudely
interrupted.

Severian asks Jonas about BOTH events after his return from the mine at
Saltus, and asks how man sized soldiers could ever fight enormous beasts.
The chains clanking in the dark, though they evoke a binding, could also be
the chains which move an enormous mechanical thing, like the walking tower
which Severian sees in chapter XXI or thereabouts in Citadel (don't have
the book with me right now). In the next chapter the Autarch shows up on a
giant elephantine steed and the footsteps make Sev think of the thing he
awoke in the cave near Saltus. The footsteps are of a beast bound to the
autarch's will in that chapter, and perhaps the proximity to the giant
tower and the fact that the man-apes, the pandours at the wall, and the
cave as a treasure  horde of the autarch, even though it seems to indicate
a binding, is in fact a hidden last line of defense that allows the autarch
to fight the giants with something beyond man-sized soldiers.  Thus, it is
Baldanders'  nightmare because it will serve Severian and the Autarch.
Perhaps his closed lipped reticence to discuss the gate and the mine
involve the security measures of the Autarch, something he is reluctant to
go over in detail. (First Sev sees the man-apes as enemies - perhaps all of
the powers that the autarch binds to himself have this slightly inimical
quality to them).

Also, in hindsight it is pretty clear Jahi is supposed to be Juturna ... at
one point in the play she metafictionally says something to the effect, "in
real life I'm bigger than everyone!" I don't know how that didn't
consciously register with me before.  So the talk of the demons to the
autarch reveals Juturna's motivations and mission.