(urth) The Third Policeman and The Land Across

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 09:34:11 PDT 2014

I read it years and years ago ... didn't really remind me of Wolfe at
all. Definitely reminded me of a bit of Beckett's Molloy trilogy/Waiting
for Godot and RA Lafferty (though much closer is At Swim Two Bird's, with
its very similar parallels to the Lafferty canon in The Devil is Dead, but
it could just be the "Irishness" of it all.) Maybe I will read it again
some day. I am thinking there are parts of Lanark that resonate with The
Third Policeman as well.  There is this sense of phantasmagoric mistaken
identity and a blurring between the living and the dead held forever in a
holding pattern that all those works seem to have in common.

I think Wolfe and Lafferty are actually very different, with Wolfe being
more rigorously logical in structure and Lafferty's stuff often not
adhering to strict ordering - more like dream logic.