(urth) Tzadkiel's form

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 06:39:31 PDT 2014

Hethor the perverted and debased sailor who keeps his little sex doll in
the closet and is manipulated by Agia, always motivated by a terrible need
for revenge, is not a good character fit for being related to the actual
paragon of Urth. (Tzadkiel pretty much serves as proxy for Sev in the
trial).

Characterization in Wolfe is important.  You can't have a stuttering blood
thirsty persecution complex easily manipulated guy actually be the guardian
angel of Urth without really ignoring characterization wholesale.

As far as published work on New Sun, my problem with Borski is he wants to
collapse all the characters into one or two and doesn't really think
logically and my issue with Wright is he thinks every moment of
transcendence is a hard determined lie, that Severian's claim that even
devils serve the increate is a weak excuse, which is a very
misrepresentational view of Wolfe in general.

Wright's reading of The God and His Man as a metafictional criticism of
readers killing the author's intention is ironically about as far off as a
reading can get, too.