(urth) Forlesen

Allan Lloyd a.lloyd748 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 15 02:42:18 PDT 2014

Frick used his ill-gotten gains from oil and the railways to found a beautiful house and art gallery on the East Side of Central Park, which I visited this spring. It is an amazing building, with art from most of the pantheon of painters up to the Impressionists. I don’t really see any connection to Wolfe’s story, but is the gaining of wealth by dubious means in any way excused by setting up a collection of paintings for posterity. (It does seem likely that they were only meant for his own personal enjoyment, but we are lucky to be able to enjoy these pictures now, so who knows?)

Allan