(urth) Short Story 60: Forelesen part 1

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 16:23:13 PDT 2014

There is a very matrix feel to Forlesen after the fact but nobody wakes up
from this nightmare. Especially with the black and orange machines eating
the buildings at the end of the day.

Forlesen is the one work of Wolfe I am almost willing to consign to
postmodern irresolvability.  I have thought about it for literally months
and any uniform theory that makes sense of the oil and the
changing reflection in the glasses and mirrors and the changing signs and
the judeo-Christian names and the buildings being consumed and the
"good engine" in his coffin never really gel and I am left with ... The
idea of a corporate Hell/limbo.  But it seems like something should explain
why the rule book for bet your life is Forlesen's life story with minor
changes.

Hour of trust and forlesen were the hardest to do of all the write ups-
they are both kind of anti- establishment for Wolfe. My free live free
write up listing every difference in the two novel edition texts was much
easier than wrestling with these little pieces that never seem to add up to
much at all outside of the theme in forlesen.