(urth) You have the wrong creation you ninny - eschatology and genesis

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 22:15:05 PDT 2014

> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: Question: Given that time travel is the only "real" connection between the
>two, what is to say that the universe of Long/Short Sun is the same iteration as that of New Sun? Perhaps

>L/SS is our universe.

Could be.  But is there a mention that the red sun of Urth can be seen in the night sky of Blue? Conversely,

I think "Fomalhaut" mentioned in BotNS foreshadows the sun of Blue, that planet being

the origin of large, oceanic, fishy god/monsters.

I think travel to Yesod can fairly be said to involve traversing both space and time. The whole idea of

"dream" travel from Blue to Urth adds another dimension to the whole thing to the point that I don't

know how it compares to other Sun Series examples of travel.

Entonio:

> My view is that Severian's universe is not unlike ours, but with slightly

> different Jews and Christ was never born there. The issue tackled is, how

> did such a universe end up, and how can it be saved, in a soteriological

> sense? And each Book of the X Sun gives an answer.

Dan'l:

> I like this.

Ditto.

I like that Urth, The Whorl and Blue each seem to have a unique path to "salvation". Blue

appears to have suffered a Flood but there remains work to do, just as for post-diluvian Earth and Ushas.

There even seems a glint of hope for Green (symbolized by the flooding of the sewer?).