(urth) Conditional Concession to Lee

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Tue Sep 9 11:43:31 PDT 2014

On 9/9/2014 11:06 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> On 08/09/2014 19:08, Lee wrote:
>
>> Wolfe is careful to put such Earthian references only in the hands of
>> certain key Urth individuals who are likely to be privy to them, e.g.
>> Jonah as mentioned, Father Inire/Rudesind, for the Apollo moon
>> painting, Dr. Talos for Frankenstein, etc. Please remind me if I have
>> overlooked any Earth reference from a non-spacefaring, general
>> populace sort from Urth (i.e. with a Saint name).
>
> Thecla's sister Thea is an exultant, so perhaps not of the common
> populace, but she is aware of the fact that 'present' meant 'now' and
> 'gift' in English.  I assume she learned it in history class.

I've long been one of the people pooh-poohing Lee's notion of Inire as a
multiple creature and shapeshifter like Tzadkiel, despite them being at
opposite extremes of the visible Yesodi ranks.

However, seeing the juxtaposition of classes and people here reminds me
that Inire is the supplier of cloning and bestifying/anthopofying
technology with his hands in the khaibits and the anpiels and
mastiffmen. So he does have something of these abilities, only as lab
technology rather than an inborn ability like the Hierogrammates.

So, perhaps Rudesind is rather a *clone* of Inire himself, explaining
their similarity of simian build. This  goes for the other suspects like
the autocthonous shaman and Isangoma. This also explains how a
short-lived hierodule has served a thousand years. And we know for sure
he has memory-transfer potions, gobble-gobble!

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab