(urth) math probability question for seven American nights - CORRECTION

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 07:13:33 PDT 2014

Thanks.

(Almost every Middle Eastern name in the text is from the Adventures of
Hajji Baba, and interestingly enough, the detective sent to look for Nadan
at the start of the book, Hassan Kerbalai, is the name of Hajji Baba's
father.  I may have to read at least some of that book beyond the chapters
dealing with Nadan and Mirza and Osman Aga (a writer in Seven American
Nights and Baba's master in the older text, who sends him to purchase
lamb-skins to start the novel).  Baba means father or grandfather, and
when (in Wolfe's story) Nadan sees the old American man who has the writing
machine at the musuem he calls him grandfather. Pretty sure Hajji Baba
tries to defraud Nadan in Morier's book)

The play Visit to a Small Planet is by (EuGENE) Gore Vidal and the cat in
the play is named Rosemary - the second play, Mary Rose, with the two
disappearances of the titular character for periods of time, also seems to
play on Rosemary's name besides the allusions to Nadan's disappearance.

Even though The Adventures of Hajji Baba was very critical of the Middle
Eastern/Persian characters, it was popular there as kind of a satire that
revealed their societal shortcomings.  The same is true of Visit to a Small
Planet and its take on McCarthyism for America. Ironically these Americans
see it as a kind of  testament to their old greatness.