(urth) 5HC

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Sep 4 05:44:25 PDT 2014

On 04/09/2014 07:19, Richard Simon wrote:
> I begin to weary of this...
>

>     Then suddenly, as soon as the French land, the Shadow Children put
>     away their drugs, and become perfect imitators of, not the new
>     humans, but of Sandwalker's people.  If the landing is the
>     proximate cause, why do they not imitate the French instead?
>
> They were always imitators of Sandwalker's people, as is made very
> clear in 'A Story'.

It is made very clear that they were BAD imitators, who looked
significantly different.

>     Why is he unable to change his eye colour to that of a modern-day
>     human (after taking such care to have green eyes when imitating -
>     for some reason - a poor downtrodden 'abo')?
>
> There are plenty of people on both Ste. Anne and Ste. Croix that have
> green eyes. As there are on Earth. Why need Marsch not have had green
> eyes himself?

Because if he did, he would hardly have noted that Victor's eyes were 'a
startling green'.  [And besides, if green eyes are just random, what's
the whole point in Wolfe's stressing it over and over?]

>     Switching the origin of the Shadow Children and the abos just
>     creates an expanding wave of inconsistency!
>
> Not as I see it. And this, if you will forgive me, is my last word to
> you on the subject. You may reply or not, as you see fit.

<Shrug> Of course I cannot force you to examine whether these
rationalisations fit into a coherent whole.

- Gerry Quinn