(urth) 5HC

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 06:46:48 PDT 2014

Having said that, I think Wolfe has "preferred" party line readings that
pierce the first level - Victor replacing Marsch is obviously, with the
memories Marsch has of abo life, supposed to be our first conclusion after
a careful reading of The Fifth Head of Cerberus.  It isn't "wrong" - Wolfe
wants everyone to come to that conclusion, but he also wants to underlay a
second switch that allows Veil's hypothesis to be true that explains even
more details in the text - a Story is as much about what happened to Marsch
as it is about the Landing through the layering of metaphor. (He wants us
to conclude a shape changing event has taken place and to be bothered by
the question of whether everyone is an abo - but mechanistically underneath
that is a second switch in which we can see the gun on the wall fire, and
both species are used - the empathic mental multiplicity of the Shadow
Children is something that will never grant them a true separate identity)

Wolfe wants us to come to the first level ... but it looks like no one will
ever come to a consensus beyond his first "party line" reading in this
case, because all of us see different things beyond that.  Victor was an
abo, his cat wasn't - the cat was the empathic shadow child, as were the
beasts that Marsch hunted, and this was why Victor cried when they were
shot - he is in empathic union with his cat and therefore with the other
Shadow children infections, too. Who bites in "A Story"? It isn't an abo.
Who bites in Fifth Head? the cat. When the abos and Shadow children are
confused about who is long and lived in roots, one saying, "I thought that
was us" - the abos are not influenced by empathic mental powers, that is
the shadow children simply assuming their memories and losing their
identity in abo communion, since they are confused by those around them.
One mimics physically (but perhaps only once, after its larval stage, the
other constantly adapts itself mentally to whoever is around it).

When Marsch says he had difficulty writing because of the bite, we look
past it and say yeah right that's pure BS it's because an abo replaced
you.  Then Wolfe switches it around on us ... it WAS because of the bite,
but for a different reason entirely.

When Crane says Silk's enlightenment was because of a brain event we all
laugh ... yeah right. we say, that was enlightenment.  But it probably was
because of a Pas planted brain event time released message for his heir.