(urth) 5HC

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 06:03:04 PDT 2014

>J Barach: There is, however, no lack of people who say that,

>when the exposed infants lay wailing, they were first taken in

>by some unknown whore, and that hers were the first breasts they

>sucked -- for "she-wolves" (lupae) was the name given to whores,

>which is why houses of ill repute are even now called "wolf-houses"

>(lupanaria).

>How could I read that and not think of Fifth Head?  I have no way of

>knowing if Wolfe had read City of God by the time he wrote Fifth Head

>or if there might have been some other classical source that pointed

>him in this direction, but it sure seems to fit nicely, doesn't it?

Yes. Be it City of God or some other source, I think it is no accident

that Wolfe combined these concepts. Over and over in his work, he reveals

that he is familiar with much minutiae from classical mythology.

>And then that raises the question: Are Number Five (Gene) and his brother

>David in some way parallel to Romulus and Remus?

I think perhaps so. Romulus killed Remus. Given his actions toward his father

it would not be a shock if Number Five killed David at some point, in his

monomania for dominating the planet.