(urth) 5HoC: The Top Floor of the Library

Barry Ragin barry at barryragin.com
Mon Sep 1 17:22:59 PDT 2014

I too want to delurk for a few minutes to say thanks for inspiring
yet another re-read of 5HoC. I'm not quite confident enough in my own
interpretations to share them, but here's a couple of passages i
found rather more interesting on this re-read.

Regarding Number Five's unspoken name, there's this in " 'A Story',
By John V. Marsch."
===========
"Chew harder," Sandwalker told him, "and you won't believe that." And
then, because he was sorry to have hurt a friend at such a time he
added more kindly, "which one are you – aren't you the one who showed
me what it is you chew?"

"Wolf."

Lastvoice had begun his chant. Sandwalker said "Your Old Wise One
told me last night your names were Foxfire, Whistler, and something
else I forget – but there was none of that name."

"We have names for seven," the Shadow child said, "and names for
five. The names for three you have heard. My name now is the name for
one. Only his name, the Old Wise One's name, never changes." (p. 140)
============

It's been postulated that the Number Five clone line may be the only
actual humans left in the St. Anne/St. Croix system. Might Wolf being
the name for a single Shadow child be a significant textual support
for this, or some other interpretation?

Also, this, in "V. R. T."
============

My problem, then, is to learn all that there is to be learned about
some very primitive people who have left almost no physical traces at
all (as far as anyone knows) and some highly embroidered legends. I
would be disheartened if it were not that the parallel with those
paleolithic, Caucasoid Pygmies who came to be called the Good People
(and who survived, as was eventually shown, in Scandinavia and Erie*
until the last years of the eighteenth century) were not almost
exact. (p.157)
===========

Page numbers from the 1981 printing of the Ace edition. I believe
*Erie to be a typo. Not as significant as the he/they editing
difference that's been discussed on the list, but i assume that the
correct word is actually Eire. I searched the archives for the phrase
"Caucasoid Pygmies" and found two hits, neither of which was more
recent than 2003, so i'm not sure if i'm the only one who wonders
about this paragraph.

Googling the phrase "Caucasoid Pygmy" returns exactly 3 hits, none of
which i feel comfortable linking to. So, what exactly does Gene
Wolfe, who never wastes a word, mean by the phrase "as was eventually
shown"? When i first read 5HoC in my twenties, i thought it was a
fantasy, and assumed he was making a leprechaun analogy. That's
pretty clearly not the case. I think he may be saying that the person
who wrote this journal entry may not be the scholar he presents
himself to be, but i'm definitely open to other thoughts.

Also, and i don't know why, but i never made the connection between
the Bernard Wolfe who wrote the Trotsky book and the Bernard Wolfe
who wrote Limbo, which sits next to my Gene Wolfe 3 foot bookshelf. I
may need to re-read that one this winter.

Once again, thanks for the stimulating conversation.

Barry

On Sep 1, 2014, at 5:19 PM, urth-request at lists.urth.net wrote:

> 5HoC: The Top Floor of the Library

Thank you, Gerry, Lee and Mark, for motivating me to re-read The
Fifth Head of Cerberus. I had hesitated to do so for many years
because I found it repellent in many of its details and depressing in
its entirety. The details are still repellent, but I found it a
little less depressing on this reading, largely because the emotional
tone of the second story ('A Story') had altered for me.

Save for one, the books Number Five finds at the top of the spiral in
the public library were easy enough to identify and confirm that
Five's surname begins with a W. But who is the author of the book
about 'the assassination of Leon Trotsky'? And what is the book? Is
it a book at all, or something to do with the film of that title?

By the way, I didn't find any specific evidence in the book for
Five's first name. There are Wolfe clues aplenty, but though 'Gene'
is obviously an appropriate name for a clone, I couldn't find
anything to confirm that it really was his name. The author has
confirmed that it is, but he did so to someone who had arrived at
name by guessing. Anyone have any light to shed?

Also by the way, Maitre's cloning experiments almost certainly
eliminate the possibility that the population of Ste. Croix are
anything other than Earth-human (well, most of them). Maitre must
have gained his knowledge of genetic engineering from Terrestrial
textbooks, and unless the mimicry of the shadow-children extends all
the way down to the microbiological level (which is surely absurd) it
wouldn't have worked if everybody was a shapeshifted nonhuman.