(urth) 5HoC: The Top Floor of the Library

jbarach at aol.com jbarach at aol.com
Mon Sep 1 13:43:56 PDT 2014

Richard --

The book about the assassination of Leon Trotsky is Bernard Wolfe's The Great Prince Died (alternatively titled Trotsky Dead).  Wolfe was, for a while, Trotsky's secretary.  He was also a science fiction writer.

The library shelf would, of course, contain all kinds of literature, but by including three science fiction writers (Bernard Wolfe, Wilhelm, and Vernor Vinge [misplaced]), Gene Wolfe is strongly hinting that we should think of Number Five's (progenitor's) name in connection with science fiction.  By describing Bernard Wolfe's novel the way he does, Gene Wolfe also avoids explicitly saying the name "Wolfe," though by including Virginia Woolf, he does get the sound of his last name in.  Kate Wilhelm's inclusion is probably a tip of the hat to her husband, Damon Knight, who grew Gene Wolfe from a bean (as the dedication of the book says).

As for "Gene," that's derived from Aunt Jeannine's name.  Her brother, Number Five's father, would be Jean, and so that would also be Number Five's name ... but if you Anglicize the pronunciation, you get "Gene."

Robert Borski worked all of this out in his Cave Canem essay, "Je m'appelle Jean Loup" (http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=CaveCanem.Number5).

John