(urth) barrington interview

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Wed Oct 15 23:10:27 PDT 2014

On 10/14/2014 1:50 PM, Lee wrote:
> Both coming and going, the data you cite has human bias stamped all over it. We cannot
>
> escape or transcend our own basic humanity. Everything we do and everything we
>
> think is intrinsically human and limited by the limitations of being human. There is no way
>
> to avoid that. Math and science were invented by and are used exclusively by humans.

This is not correct. Humans and pre-humans have made numerous
constructions that transcend the limitations of the homind condition.
Cave paintings, however fanciful, record the existence of people with
culture and behaviors that are discernable across a gap of tens of
thousands of years, utterly beyond an oral tradition. Telescopes made by
Galileo allowed humans to see far beyond their natural capacity for
sight, and when the humans go to these distant, previously unseen
places, what they see is actually in evidence; the same goes for our
proxies that visited the Galilean moons.

Humans are flawed, but the flaws are not intractable. Your argument
otherwise is self-defeating as it could be judged as flawed as any other
human product and thus equally dismissible.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab