(urth) barrington interview

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Tue Oct 14 17:03:58 PDT 2014

On 10/14/2014 2:50 PM, Lee wrote:
> Perhaps true. But all those observations were made from earth or
> nearby and relayed to earth. Furthermore all the data was collected by
> human-constructed machines. Then all the data was processed and
> translated into pictures and numbers and other human tools which help
> us understand things. You are impressed with our mastery of the
> electro-magnetic spectrum. But what lies beyond gamma rays? And what
> other spectrums exist which we cannot perceive in the slightest? The
> answer must be, "We don't know". Both coming and going, the data you
> cite has human bias stamped all over it. We cannot escape or transcend
> our own basic humanity. Everything we do and everything we think is
> intrinsically human and limited by the limitations of being human.
> There is no way to avoid that. Math and science were invented by and
> are used exclusively by humans.
I would appreciate a theory of why this makes a difference. Machines are
not human, even if made by humans, so why should they be subject to any
imaginary human biases?

Let me also chime in with those who suggest that the idea that
mathematics isn't universally true are utterly wrong.

Really, seriously, Plato's Cave is not exactly a hill you should wish to
die on.

> Absence of evidence does not prove a negative. That's a pretty basic
> tenet of science/ logic. Especially in such a sparsely explored realm
> as "the universe".
You can never prove a negative. Show some evidence that there is
something that indicates the positive (as you propose it) might be true.
Just saying "we don't know" is both untrue for large swathes of the
universe, and basically tendentious without proposing any other view.
Sure, you might say "God can do anything" (and I forget if you are in
that camp) but show something that indicates that's something that has
happened.

Dave Lebling