(urth) Theism Supports Free Will Better than Materialism Does

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sat Oct 11 17:51:16 PDT 2014

On Sat, October 11, 2014 12:35, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> So in a physicalistic view, genuine free will doesn't seem to
>> make much sense. It's hard even to describe what it would consist in.
>
> Interesting, but crude. Human decisions are not always either
> deterministic or random.

What third options do you offer?

>> What we want
>> miraculously but subtly changes the whole cosmos to enable us to be
>> more fully the characters we are. Free will is the gift of the Holy
>> Spirit."
>>
> Not only is this not an argument for free will---rather, it argues for
> supernatural puppetry and goes to bizarre lengths to do so---it
> completely ignores biology (see above). Unless we're to believe God
> automatically adjusts that too.

He adjusts everything; this is the sort of theism where nothing happens or
even exists without God willing it the way nothing changes or appears on a
TV screen without the raster drawing it.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab