(urth) Theism Supports Free Will Better than Materialism Does

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 11:00:58 PDT 2014

I've for the most part stayed out of this, but I wanted to bring up some
Wolfe stuff here.  It seems there are several points where nature and free
will are vital to his narratives, and Book of the New Sun has  in some way
created the deterministic exegesis of Wright in Attending Dedalus, which I
think is fundamentally opposed to Wolfe's world view.

Wolfe's Pirate Freedom is the most direct exploration of Free Will in his
work. You have a Catholic priest engaging in naturalistic philosophy and
casuistry, justifying his actions through environment (you would have done
the same thing if you were there ...)
.  That's an extremely complicated moral element to the narrative that is
easy to misread: sympathize with Fr. Chris too much and you are denying his
freedom of choice.

I am sure Wolfe believes in free will and the ability to make meaningfully
good and meaninfully evil decisions. Fr. Chris might achieve less
absolution than Typhon in the grand scheme of things if he holds onto the
idea that he never had a choice.