(urth) barrington interview

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Oct 9 06:57:11 PDT 2014

On 08/10/2014 01:05, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

> It is not necessary for a "conch to do math" for its spiral
> shell-shape to be mathematically based. Its genes, an incredibly
> powerful computing system (whose results are expressed in proteins
> which then control cellular behavior), "does" the math. Likewise the
> shape of the galaxy; stars aren't "doing math," they are obeying
> natural law, which is mathematical in nature.
>
> The evidence (I hesitate to say "proof," as that would be
> unscientific) for this is that just about everywhere we turn in
> nature, we find that mathematics provides predictability and
> explanatory power. It isn't a joke when cosmologists talk about the
> universe being potentially a huge "computer" "simulation" (I think
> both words are too loose here); the Universe itself seems to "do math"
> as you would put it.

I don't really agree.  I think "the unreasonable effectiveness of
mathematics" in science is a result of science being based on repetitive
aspects of the world that can be mathematically modelled.  The
mathematics describes the model, but the model is generally - perhaps
always - an imperfect and incomplete description of the world.  Science
speaks about models, but models are not actually the world, they just
track some parts of it.

Snail shells are repetitive and model easily, snail trails not so much.
A scientist will make predictions based on the percentage of the sky
that is overcast.  But the *number* of clouds in the sky is relatively
unamenable and thus useless to science - to study that aspect of the
world, you would require a painter, or perhaps a mystic.

- Gerry Quinn