(urth) barrington interview

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:37:16 PDT 2014

I've corresponded with him for about 14 years now ... he thinks dropping
the definitive answer is cheating, but once upon a time he was sure to
correct me on a very important point. He then apologized to me, saying it
"wasn't fair." His purpose is complex, but Wolfe's creative system is
perhaps best understood in the amusement park designer of "The Adopted
Father" - in that story, his children aren't his because they don't think
like he does - he creates an elaborate park maze design and his son can't
navigate it, he becomes lost, because he doesn't pay attention to the clue
his father gives him, so his father seeks out someone who actually does
think as he does.  As I've said, his acknowledgments are also extremely
indirect.  When I told him what I thought about "the Changeling", he said,
"I've always loved Lil' Abner.  So many great characters, so many great
stories and situations."  That's about the most indirect way one could ever
say that my explication was correct.

Wolfe wants to make you work to solve his puzzles ... he almost has the
contradictory impulse in his introductions to put forth that he writes for
the common reader to entertain, but he can't stop being cryptic.  Certainly
his idea of "good" construction and engineering involves creating a text
worth re-reading.