(urth) Theism Supports Free Will Better than Materialism Does

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Thu Oct 16 23:40:05 PDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 2:20 PM, Lee wrote:
> I don't think so. Severian only sees one path as he travels Brook Madregot to the
>
> past. It only branches when he reverses direction and travels to the future.

Branching is not the only form of choice for Sev.

Juturna enunciates his choice of direction in URTH XLVIII: "Juturna
pointed like a village woman directing some lost traveler, her hands and
arms extending in directions I had not seen until she indicated them.
'That way the future, this way the past. '"

Tzadkerbell explicitly points out in URTH XL that Sev has a choice about
how far to travel along the brook Madregot, and when to start walking
away from it.

The green man says he runs up and down the Corridors of Time looking for
a time to help Severian, so that's him using reverse time travel to
retrace his steps and access other branches previously ruled out.

So while there are multiple futures branching from a single past, that
past still has many ages and many lands in each. Our Severian doesn't
explore too many of them, but that'a probably why he's our Severian and
not young Tzadkiel's Severian, or one of the coffin Severians. He can
choose from several branches when moving forward, but most all people
have that privilege from the Increate.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab