(urth) barrington interview

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Oct 14 17:13:36 PDT 2014

On 15/10/2014 01:03, Dave Lebling wrote:
> You can never prove a negative. Show some evidence that there is
> something that indicates the positive (as you propose it) might be
> true. Just saying "we don't know" is both untrue for large swathes of
> the universe, and basically tendentious without proposing any other
> view. Sure, you might say "God can do anything" (and I forget if you
> are in that camp) but show something that indicates that's something
> that has happened.

I thought of that earlier.  Saying there can be parts of the universe
where logic doesn't apply is like saying "God is omnipotent, so he must
be able to make a stone he can't lift".  The best answer seems to be
that definitions of omnipotence that allow logical contradictions are
ill-formed.  When the irresistable force meets the immovable object...
then you must have described at least one of them wrong.

When you talk about a world where logic doesn't apply, then by
definition you aren't making sense.

- Gerry Quinn