(urth) Theism Supports Free Will Better than Materialism Does

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Fri Oct 10 19:39:19 PDT 2014

On 10/10/2014 8:27 AM, Norwood, Frederick Hudson wrote:
> Of course God has free will.  But not Moses, as far as I can tell.

I believe this is somewhat backwards. God's omnipotent, omniscient, and
eternal character exclude any process of decision or choice-making on
His part. He is changeless and perfect, so there is no change of mind
possible or necessary, and being eternal this is always the case.

Ironically, this also means that people *do* have free will, as my
friend Bill Stoddard explains it:

"Now, if physical reality is essentially deterministic—if each
fundamental physical entity, based on its nature, state, and
relationships, is capable of only one specific next state and one
specific action—then human mental processes are deterministic too, and
we don't have free will. But if physical reality is essentially
indeterministic—if there are occasions when an entity can enter one of
two or more next states, or perform one of two or more actions, and
which comes next is not merely unpredictable but truly random—then that
doesn't give us any more free will, either. Having our actions changed
from time to time by the throw of a set of cosmic dice does not equate
to our being free to choose among different actions, or to determine our
own destiny; it amounts to our being at the mercy of chance. So in a
physicalistic view, genuine free will doesn't seem to make much sense.
It's hard even to describe what it would consist in.

"In theism, on the other hand, we have a model where God knows all of
our actions, past, present, and future, in a single timeless instant of
comprehension. In effect, the entire history of the cosmos is a vast
simulation model that God is running—except that God has infinite
computational capacity and does not need time to run the simulation. But
God is also able to interpret the thoughts and feelings and choices that
the simulated particles constitute, and thus to simultaneously know the
cosmos as a story. And as an author, God can enter into the story and
identify with its characters. The capacity to do so is, in Christian
terms, the Holy Spirit. But every author has the experience of
characters saying, 'No, I wouldn't do that thing, I would do the other
thing.' And God, having complete control over the whole narrative, can
rewrite it instantaneously to conform to our saying that—rewrite it not
on the basis of physical determinism, but on the basis of the content of
our thoughts and feelings and desires. God can, if necessary, look back
to the big bang and adjust the place where one specific quark appears to
give rise to a cosmic history in which we choose salvation or damnation;
or, if you prefer indeterminism, God can decide which random particle
motions will occur in our brains instant to instant for the same
purpose. What we want miraculously but subtly changes the whole cosmos
to enable us to be more fully the characters we are. Free will is the
gift of the Holy Spirit."

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab