(urth) barrington interview

Norwood, Frederick Hudson NORWOODR at mail.etsu.edu
Fri Oct 10 08:57:22 PDT 2014

I’m enjoying talking about God and math and all, but it this too off-topic for this list?  If so, I’ll shut up.  (Like Bugs Bunny, I’m very good at shutting up.)

All math can be reduced to logic.  As David Hilbert is reported to have said, “One must be able to say at all times--instead of points, straight lines, and planes--tables, chairs, and beer mugs.”  Math can be done without any numbers.  Numbers are one of the most successful applications of math.  But, if you’ll permit me another quote, this time from Einstein, “As far of the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.”  In other words, when you protest that the universe may not be either discrete nor continuous, you are talking about applications of mathematics, not about mathematics.

Science is only the second most reliable body of knowledge we possess.

There is a famous article “The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics” that remarks on how astonishingly successful imperfect human beings have been in applying perfect mathematics to a recalcitrant physical universe.  But to me the question of the universality of mathematics come down to the question I asked about A implies B.

As for math continuing to grow, that is (I’m glad to say) true.  There are many conjectures that are not yet theorems.  And, of course, people sometimes make mistakes.  And sometimes mathematicians argue about the philosophy of mathematics, and about whether we create mathematics or discover mathematics.  But there are no mathematicians I know of who “doubt” the Pythagorean Theorem.

Rick Norwood