(urth) barrington interview

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Oct 9 07:02:21 PDT 2014

On 08/10/2014 14:35, Thomas Bitterman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Lee <severiansola at hotmail.com
> <mailto:severiansola at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've had this debate before and I know it can be disturbing to the
>     purely science/mathematically
>     minded. But math isn't really "universal". It  a system of
>     calculation created by the human mind
>     which is part of a primate brain evolved from more primitive
>     mammalian ancestors.
>

> Is there an argument against the universality of mathematics that
> isn't  just the Genetic Fallacy?

I think it's universal.  Basically mathematics is a fractal set of
strings made from other strings by following rules, and it's possible to
embed the rules in the fractal.  All mathematics can be encoded entirely
inside the standard arithmetic of the natural numbers, or simple
geometry on a plane.

- Gerry Quinn