(urth) resurrecting a 2002 thread that posits an alternative lineage for Sev

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Oct 9 06:48:10 PDT 2014

On 07/10/2014 14:58, Lee wrote:
> I'd add to that the paradox of Free Will. How can an all-powerful,
> all-knowing Creator construct every molecule of a human being and
> claim to not know what that human being will do when faced with
> temptation?

Does He claim that?

> I am not at all religious myself. But I know Gene Wolfe is. So when I
> enter his worlds and try to understand them, unlike the real world, I
> have to become something of a Christian and take leaps of faith and
> accept essential contradictions and otherwise become a bit religious.
> I think that is necessary when you are trying to understand a
> fictionally created world. Intent and meaning become more important
> than logic and science. For the natural world, I think science works
> better.

The same problem arises in science.  As far as we know scientifically, a
robot with a computer brain could - and perhaps soon will - be
manufactured.  This robot may have a determinate programming, such that
we can predict by simulation how he will respond to any stimulus.  Yet
we know of no 'scientific' reason why he should not have free will just
as much as we do.

[You could put a random number generator based on quantum decisions in
his brain to make him sometimes unpredictable on principle.  But making
him act erratically for no good reason hardly enhances his free will!]

See also Newcomb's Paradox.

- Gerry Quinn