(urth) barrington interview

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Oct 9 06:38:01 PDT 2014

On 07/10/2014 04:12, Richard Simon wrote:
> My own view on this is as follows: most of Wolfe's 'puzzles' have a
> direct bearing on the story; that is to say, they conceal information
> that could help the reader understand something more about the plot,
> the characters, the subtext, etc. They are functional, part of the
> mechanics of the story itself.
>
> Occasionally, when he thinks it is possible for him to do so without
> endangering the sense or misleading the reader , Wolfe will add a
> poetic conceit, usually a classical allusion. Decyphering it will add
> something to the reader's enjoyment but little to his understanding.

In the main I agree with this, as regards the interpretation of names
and events.

> I do not believe that symbolism in the work of Gene Wolfe has any
> relevance outside the frame of the story. I often see his interpreters
> present some example of the use of symbols that they have found (or
> think they have found) as a full and sufficient explanation of Wolfe
> is up to at that point in the narrative. They read it as an attempt to
> convey some extra-literary meaning. They are mistaken. Gene Wolfe is a
> creator of popular entertainments, nothing more. He is certainly a
> great author --- 'great' as in 'for the ages' --- but he is not a
> preacher or a philosophical huckster. He is a technician, a craftsman
> above all.

Perhaps this goes too far, or it could be that I am mistaking what you
are trying to express.  We are certainly intended to consider many of
his works in the light of Christianity, or perhaps to consider
Christianity in the light of his works..  But maybe you are including
that in the 'mechanics'.

- Gerry Quinn