(urth) barrington interview

Norwood, Frederick Hudson NORWOODR at mail.etsu.edu
Mon Oct 6 05:08:25 PDT 2014

The readers who spotted Richard Nixon are clearly wrong.

More generally, I think most allusions and symbols in Wolfe are classical rather than modern.  His comments on modern politics seem blunt and obvious – the world is going to Hell in a handbasket.  No puzzles there.

Also, I find Wolfe enjoyable on a first read.  The depths are fun to probe, but the surface is fun, too.  Thus I do not see Wolfe as a puzzle game, where unless you solve the boss puzzle you lose.  Rather as many layered fiction, with something extra for those who read the classics.

Rick Norwood