(urth) So Where DID the Guard go?

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon May 5 07:54:40 PDT 2014

From: Andrew Mason

> I'm sure that _Short Sun_ (specifically _In Green's Jungles_) does indeed
> tell us
> where the guard went; but I'm equally sure that this was not the answer
> Wolfe
> had in mind when he wrote _New Sun_; he wasn't planning _that_ far ahead.
> So we can still ask what his original intention was. (The presence of the
> citizen
>  volunteers suggests that either the guard is  quite often absent, or his
> presence is ineffective.)

Okay, I'll bite - when and where does it tell us?  I can't think of anything
in _In Green's Jungles_ that references current events on Urth.

There are references in _Return to the Whorl_, and even a visit to the
Necropolis.  But that must have been later, as Severian already had
Triskele.

- Gerry Quinn