(urth) Short Story 64: When I was Ming the Merciless

jbarach at aol.com jbarach at aol.com
Mon May 12 12:50:03 PDT 2014

Marc --

This is one of my favorite Wolfe stories.  The passage you quoted ("There are things we don’t know about that live in the world with us – things in another plane of reality.  And when you make something like that, it comes – one of them comes.  It shapes itself to fit your image of it, becoming the real Spirit of the Yellows"), I submit, provides a glimpse of Wolfe's view of other gods and of idolatry.

In the Bible, Paul says that idols are nothing.  But he also says that eating at the table of the idols is eating at the table of demons and having communion with them.  Both are true, and Wolfe's words here strike me as a way of understanding how they work together.  The idol itself is nothing more than a piece of wood, carved to look like a bull and called by the name "Baal."  So the biblical prophets make fun of those who cut down a tree, start a fire with part of the wood in order to cook their food, and carve another part of the wood into an image, before which they prostrate themselves.  It's just a hunk of wood!  But at the same time, it's not, in another sense, because it is identified with Baal (which means, as Paul puts it, that it's identified with demons), such that eating at Baal's table (or Zeus's table or Jupiter's table or whatever) is having communion with Baal, which is to say, having communion with demons.

So, too, the Lung Rin is some stuff.  Nothing particularly important.  But once it is made and given special honor and worshipped, something comes and becomes the real Spirit of the Yellows.  You worship a thing you've made and you're having fellowship -- becoming one with -- a demon.

It seems to me that someone could write up a helpful essay on idolatry, images, and (false) gods in Wolfe's works, bringing this passage together with, say, the gods in Long Sun, which are equally man-made and even pre-programmed, so that they appear on giant TV screens, but are also equally as real as "the Spirit of the Yellows."

John