(urth) What are you reading?

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 07:03:10 PDT 2014

"Bolano's 2666 which seems to me at its heart kind of a Twin Peaks urban
fantasy."

Well, now I kind of want to read it!

"McElroy has always been one of those authors I feel I should like but in
execution he seems rather boring.  At least you have to pay attention when
you read him."

Have you read *Lookout Cartridge*? I also lucked out and found a copy of *Women
and Men* for $3 a few months ago, I would be willing to try that one if it
is better.  I adore Pynchon, Gaddis, and Barth (with whom McElroy is so
often mentioned) so I was surprised to be so turned off right away.

"Clearly island of doctor death and other stories is Wolfe's best
collection."

"The Hero as Werewolf" and "Alien Stones" are really outstanding stories.
So far I am enjoying the collection at least as much as *Endangered
Species.*