(urth) Tracking Song

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Mar 18 08:55:37 PDT 2014

That pretty much lines up with what I have always thought. Humans are visitors to the planet/moon (who nevertheless seem somewhat familiar with it), and yet they also are natives, having evolved there. This presents an initially baffling conundrum, but it's actually simple if you assume the passage of huge amounts of time---tens of thousands of years. Terraforming and interstellar travel both offer well-accepted explanations for these extremes.

If not terraforming, then at least some kind of Blishian star-seeding. This explanation would both allow and require the extraplanetary colonizers to leave the planet alone for a far longer time than terraforming would, and the surface could have been settled much sooner if it were always habitable. The underground dwellers are those least adapted to living on the surface and have adapted slightly by becoming dwarfish and using technology, while the surface dwellers have evolved dramatically as depicted.

The dwarf might be taken as a sign that this evolution was not desired, however. And would "improving" circumstances slow evolution (because selection pressures become weaker) or speed it (because humans could interact more with the environment)?

On the other hand, why bother with a moon/tiny planet at all? Could it be our moon? Does the story track with travel around a moon the size of ours? If so, it's been heavily terraformed already.

I've found little snippets online talking about this story, but I wanted to see what the list thought of this idea: the planet / moon is undergoing some kind of accelerated evolution.  Here is my idea: