(urth) What are you reading?

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 07:35:51 PDT 2014

Just finished the new Lafferty collection as well. Good to revisit old masters. :)

I can't recommend Jeff Vandermeer's _Annihilation_ highly enough. It's part of a new "trilogy" (the others will be out by September), but each book is going to be quite different. It's the smartest, most entertaining, and most effective continuation of the "weird" tradition I've read in years. He learned everything you're supposed to learn from Bierce, Blackwood, Machen, Lovecraft, C.A. Smith, and the others, and turned it into something fresh.

Poetry: Edith Sodergran, a Finnish poet (translated, don't worry), and I think Wolfe fans would appreciate her sensibilities.

I also read Chambers' _The King in Yellow_ based on all the _True Detective_ buzz. Fun, but not mind blowing.

And my new discovery is Michael Cisco. I don't know how to describe what he writes, so I'll just leave it at that.