(urth) Loyal to the Group of Seventeen: Star Trek's Darmok, Shaka, and the Tamarians revisited

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Jun 20 14:58:25 PDT 2014

On 20/06/2014 22:12, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> ...Given an absence of evidence either way, why not choose the more aggressive interpretation: Everything that takes place on the bridge of the Tamarian vessel during the episode is encapsulated into the single move, “Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.” So dense and rich is Tamarian speech, that these five words are sufficient to direct a whole crew to carry out an entire stratagem over two days’ time, and not by following a script, but by embracing it as a guiding abstraction.

There is the issue that such a phrase contains a limited amount of
information.  To successfully choose a plan based on such a phrase,
Tamarians would have to be able to analyse the situation *on the basis
of information that is shared by the speaker and the listener and known
to both to be shared by both* so as to reduce the number of valid
possibilities to an ordered list on which the phrase is long enough to
determine one exact choice.

The biggest problem would seem to lie in the sharing of information.
After all, if all Tamarians were perfect strategicians, and all shared
all the same information, there would be no need for them to speak at
all!  The act of speech, then, suggests that they do not assume everyone
is fully informed.  But the bit-length of the phrase seems short for
informing everyone of the relevant details of every situation they might
encounter.

In truth, if I had to posit a rational explanation for the Tamarians, I
think I would propose that they are in fact telepathic, and their
phrases are a sort of cue-ing process which actually represents a
decision in a communal mind.  They might not fully understand this, or
how it contrasts with the thought processes of other speakers, themselves.

- Gerry Quinn