(urth) Short Story 66: Three Fingers

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 20:50:47 PDT 2014

"Three Fingers" remains one of my favorite Wolfe stories. I am, myself, an
immense Disney fan/freak who has gone so far as to spend the money to eat
at Club 33 just so I could say I had.

But Wolfe is right, the Disney corporation's protection of its
trademarks/copyrights is downright paranoia-inducing.

There was a daycare in Florida that decorated with hand-painted images of
Disney characters. Unfortunately, it was on the outside of the building,
and when a Disney suit happened to pass by, they received a letter ordering
them not only to cease and desist, but to repaint immediately, which, if
you know anything about the economics of daycares, was tantamount to
bankrupting them.

(There's a happy ending. Someone at Warner heard about it, and WB paid to
have the place repainted in Warner Bros. characters.)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes