(urth) Short Story 13: The Changeling

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 17:07:29 PDT 2014

Did you read the posts I made after my initial one that accounted for the
three missing years?  Pete Palmer was an actor who played Lil Abner, born
in 1931 like Gene Wolfe (Lil Abner was a notorious oaf, and the word oaf
stems from the idea of an even elfin changeling swapped in a bad bargain,
such that the switch happened in 1931 and Pete Palmer only believes himself
to be in the fourth grade in 1944 or so because that is when he wrestles
the eternal fourth grader who took his place, affecting his memories.
When I looked up Pete Palmer born 1931 I didn't expect a real person to
come up.  So they really were swapped at birth in 1931 rather than having
only "one" mentally fractured family.