(urth) Short Story 67: The Marvelous Brass Chess Playing Automaton

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Thu Jul 17 23:42:27 PDT 2014

On 7/18/2014 12:57 AM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> I don't think the geography is more like hell than any atmospheric
> warming, post nuclear war society would be

it being parts of different places can mean it is a subjective or
reconstructed place, based on imperfect recollections or from the lives
of different inmates - this would provide a nice level of parallelism
with Hans's delusional world in his cell, being tormented by the Devil
(who is) Himself

or perhaps the jailer narrator is the Devil's self-insertion into the
hellish false sub-creation - he is the keeper of the keys after all

or the jailer could be Wolfe's self-insertion, as he is the story teller
*and* the keeper of the keys that would let Hans out of his cell, just
as Wolfe has the keys to the story puzzle after all

or both - it would not be the first time Wolfe casts himself as a devil,
after all

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab