(urth) Typhon's Confidence (plus some other questions)

Darrell Burgan darrell.burgan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 20:37:44 PST 2014

I know Severian is broadly considered to be a Christ figure, but to me that
symbolism goes only so far. Severian is also capable of acts of
considerable violence and other deplorable acts, things that the Christ
would never do. Ironically I find Silk to be much more of a Christlike
figure in that regard. Severian did save the world, so he is definitely a
messiah figure, but he also killed almost everyone in the process. One of
the things I love about Wolfe is that his symbols are a patchwork. Rotate
the view 90 degrees and everything is different. It's one of the reasons I
can read his books again and again and never get bored.