(urth) Chung Kuo

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Wed Jan 1 16:19:18 PST 2014

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013, Antonin Scriabin wrote:

> Has anyone here read the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove? It seems
> intriguing. I was wondering about the reading order, since it is being
> re-released in a 20 volume version that adds a lot of content to the
> original 8 volume sequence. I have the first three volumes of the original
> sequence, and if I like it, I want to read it in the best order.

I did read all eight as they appeared at our local library, but I
became a bit disappointed as things progressed, and was glad it finished.
So maybe liking the first three volumes wouldn't be enough ;).

I didn't think think the plot justified the length, that the technologies
needed seemed unnaturally constricted in scope (if one can do X, then Y
would be just as easy - if it was fantasy then I wouldn't have this
problem), and a few rather nasty scenes. The "meta" worry I had, which
might seem weird to some, was whether Chinese culture was being adequately
represented - I dislike obvious retellings of historical events
(Napoleonic wars anyone?), and of stereotyping of non-European societies.
There are a few set pieces from the series that stick in my memory though.

Just 2c,

David Duffy.