(urth) to the dark tower came and the bull(?) of the sun

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 07:02:33 PDT 2014

>Marc Aramini: doing some research for my "Solar Labyrinth: write up

>and was quite pleased to rediscover that the killing of the astral bull

>of the sun was every bit as important to the syncretic Mithras worship

>in the late Hellenistic and Roman cults as the execution of Christ is

>in the Christian cosmology.

Hopefully this is related. For a long time I was mystified by the dream

appearance of a giant, bull-headed father for Severian (as Thecla) as he

lay dying on the battlefield.

I thought it was likely related to Zeus, i.e. the Europa story, especially

given that there is a line from Dorcas (as Meschianne) discussing a golden

beam (shower) of golden light, another seductive apparition of Zeus. But

I always thought something was missing that I didn't get until I read RttW,

where Dionysus is specifically referenced.

Not only is the bull also related to Dionysus worship but Zeus and Dionysus

have sort of a confused father-son-father relationship in an early version of

the trinity. I think we see something similar in Typhon/Pas, Silk and The

Outsider.

The Roman empire mostly didn't stray too far from the Mediterranean, so I

think it is important to note that such Eastern mysticism as syncretic

Mithras worship was brought to Europe by the earlier Alexandrian empire.

Hence (I think) the parallels between the Alexander's life story and the

combined stories of Spring Wind and Typhon.

I think we can agree that Wolfe is fascinated by the pagan precursors to

Christianity. Purely through reading his work I've developed more than a

passing interest myself. The relationship between such (ostensibly)

humaniform pagan gods as Zeus and Dionysus (and Tzadkiel) and giant

monstrosities such as Abaia, Great Scylla and The Mother has been discussed

in other threads (not to mention the relationship of such beings to Severian's

own family tree, in the pattern of the mythic Greek demi-god/heroes).