(urth) Polish translation of Long Sun.

Greg Kurzawa greg at kurzawa.us
Wed Aug 27 08:24:27 PDT 2014

On 8/27/2014 9:59 AM, Piotr Szczęsny wrote:

> Hello people of Urth,
> Some time ago I tried to read the Long Sun in polish, but on first
> pages I saw that the translator, translated name :Patera Silk to
> Patera Jedwab (Jedwab is Silk in polish) I was outraged! I hate so
> much when this happens, fortunately it's not that common. But I was
> surprised that this crime was commited by a guy who did an excellent
> job translating new sun.
> My question: what do you think? Can translating Silk's name can be
> somehow justified (I'm not yet familiar with long sun) ?

It's also possible that the translator communicated directly with Mr.
Wolfe, and they decided together to do it that way. I've been contacted
once by a translator (also Polish) seeking clarification on intended
tone and minor details, and that was just for a short story. With work
like Wolfe's, I would imagine (hope) that the translator received input,
direction, and clarification from the author himself.

... which might mean that Wolfe's translators possess insight (straight
from Wolfe) to which the rest of us don't have access.