(urth) 5HC

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Aug 27 04:11:27 PDT 2014

On 26/08/2014 14:52, Marc Aramini wrote:
> No lee, I think he was a shadow child, which is very different than an
> abo.  I think Abos and shadow children have completely different life
> cycles.  Thus he is persecuted. Everyone else is an abo, however, and
> the switch happened as soon as they landed on ste Anne at the same
> time Sandwalker and eastwind were switched (Trenchard later says his
> ancestor is the east wind who met the Landers) when all of a
> "they" can't recognize what open hands mean.  (Or is that a universal
> signal everywhere but in France? nope).  Abos go from larva to adult
> imitative form to immobile carapace (the trees at the brothel
> disappear during certain seasons - we assume they have been uprooted)
> and the shadow children are many who become one - a group
> consciousness formed by a colony of cells (as all living things are,
> save that this one promulgates through infection). They took over ste
> croix about 140 years ago and Marsch asks why all the buildings are so
> ridiculously old - Abos don't build new things, they just imitate
> things already in place.

Marc, I think I only realised this morning where you get the 'open
hands' idea from.  The text says:

"When he [Sandwalker] came close to them [the just-landed French] they
extended their hands, open, and smiled; but he did not understand that
open hands meant (or had meant, once) that they held no weapons.  His
people had never known weapons."

You seem to often read things hyper-literally and leap to hypotheses
that seem, frankly, pretty wild to me.  For example, in the above, you
are proposing some sort of instant wiping of the memory of the French
landers, unprecedented and unheralded anywhere else in the story - and
not even consistent with either imitation and parasite infection, which
already constitute one mechanism of substitution too many.

Here is the non-hyper-literal interpretation.  The French hold out open
hands and smile to indicate they are friendly.  Open hands are a
traditional gesture meaning "I hold no weapons".  Sandwalker doesn't
understand it because his people don't use weapons.

What of the parenthesised "(or had meant, once)"?  Simply this: in the
twenty-ninth century, or whatever, we may assume that weapons exist that
don't need to be held in the hands.  Automated gun turrets that can be
activated with a thought, perhaps - very likely such devices are being
tested right now in 2014.  So the open hands gesture can't be taken
literally any more.  It's just a minor digression by Wolfe.  Not a
secret clue that disintegrates the remainder of the text by showing that
the minds of the French are wiped instantly for some reason.

This is far from the only such example.  Do the trees at Saltimbanque
Street walk away at certain seasons?  I'm not even going to look.  But
if they do, I'm going to assume it's simply the work of Maitre's
gardener, unless substantially more is said about the matter!

As for the old buildings, both you and Lee have noted this.  But
Port-Mimizon is an urban area that has suffered a reduction in
population.  Marsch notes that Frenchman's Landing is newly-built,
though its architecture does not impress him.  Sainte Anne has recently
installed weather control satellites, and is replacing its shipping
technology with "modern sail-propelled vessels" similar to those on
Earth.  They've got tech.  [If Sainte Croix is all abo, Sainte Anne must
obviously be too.]

I've said it before, Wolfe is not trying to trick or trap readers. He's
not writing a load of nonsense and hiding the clues to the real story in
isolated words or phrases or names.  If he wants to tell us something,
he will tell it.  Look at Long Sun, he didn't do the cheap trick that
would appeal to some authors of making the inhabitants of the Whorl
literally unaware they are in a spaceship. Their unawareness is
naturalistic - they just don't *think* about it.  He doesn't write
planets of completely delusional lunatics.  He writes madmen, but they
will usually stop mumbling when spoken to, and their delusions are
similar to those of actual madmen.  They do not think the sky is orange,
for example, or if they do at least they will have tried to come up with
some explanation for why it looks blue!

- Gerry Quinn