(urth) Short Story 110: The Cat

Gwern Branwen gwern at gwern.net
Tue Aug 26 12:40:30 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at gmail.com> wrote:
> The other issue is that if Inire has done something to get the cat back that
> costs the good part of her soul and innocence, it makes Inire truly a
> diabolical figure. His strict order to bury the doll with her lead me to
> speculate it is her callous action of throwing the cat that might have done
> the damage to her innocence, because she is peri-like before Inire ever
> meddles with her. A very ambiguous mystical description.

Inire is an ambiguous character all along; remember he is not human,
and is partially responsible for the destruction of Urth and murdering
millions/billions of people for the sake of a higher goal.

The sort of scenario I had in mind is Inire tells Sancha she has done
something irreversible, and Sancha angrily demands that Inire do
*something*, she *loves* her cat above anything, and Inire asks
whether she's willing to pay the price and she says something like
(how many stories or movies or novels have we seen this scene in? the
ill-considered statement to the wizard/magician/god/fae...) 'I don't
care whether it costs me my childhood, bring back my cat!' And so he
does.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net