(urth) 5HC

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Aug 26 09:32:44 PDT 2014

On 26/08/2014 12:19, Lee wrote:
> It still seems odd that a visiting anthropologist would not stop in to
> see the resident expert first, rather than diving right into field
> study and finding the expert later. Also, I don't see why Victor would
> seek out the theorist who correctly hypothesized that he is a fake.
> Avoiding her would seem the more logical deceptive strategy.

She's an amateur.  Probably barely heard of on Earth, if at all. And
anyway, her theory is wrong and even a bit silly.

>> He does not explain how his writing became similar to that of the boy who supposedly died. Nor does the above explain 'Marsch's' ruminations in his cell about his abo mother, and the hard time he had learning to write as a schoolboy
> It remains conjecture rather than a part of the text that Victor
> has replaced Dr. Marsch. Conjecture which was rejected by some
> readers.

That readers have made incorrect interpretations is a poor argument for
accepting interpretations uncritically.

> Currently, you and Marc feel that Marsch was an abo when he first
> met Dr. Veil. Currently that doesn't feel right to me. Currently,
> Marc and I feel that virtually all humans were replaced on St. Croix
> while, currently, that does not feel right to you.
>
> Naturally we each go by what feels right to us. We are dealing with
> fictional creations which do not exist except as insubstantial mental
> constructs. 5HoC does not exist other than in the form of our own
> thoughts and feelings.
> ___

Actually it exists in the form of a text, which Wolfe doubtless intended
to have some degree of consistency.

- Gerry Quinn